Top 10 things you need to know about entering NAHA
Hi there my Friends, it’s that time of year when many people are getting ready to shoot for the North American Hairdressing Awards. (entries close in February 2015)
Why enter NAHA? The experience and challenge is an extraordinary journey, if you ask any person who has entered, been nominated or won, they will say the biggest return on investment goes beyond the glass trophy, its what you learn on the Journey. Think of it like a world class professional Boxer who wins a major competition. He really won during all the years of training and perfect practice behind closed doors, and yet his greatness was recognized and made official in the ring.
RETURN ON INVESTMENT FOR NAHA.
Prestige and a vehicle for great pr and promotion.
Perception clients get very excited and supportive, all clients want to brag that their hairdresser is an award winning stylist.
Increase your worth behind the chair – nothing like a buzz and a reason to increase your prices, its the good old fashion supply and demand.
You find out what you are made off. If you win its great for the confidence. If you loose very humbling, and for the strong and determined it pushes you to work harder. For the faint of heart, it can knock your confidence and you could quit.
As a judge and 6 time recipient of NAHA, there is much I have learned along the way, so here are some helpful tips.
- Read the rules and follow them.
- Create a cohesive story and theme to your collection.
- Do not compromise beauty for creativity.
- When you search for an element of originality make sure that you do not cross that dangerous line. There is a fine line between Creativity or Bad taste.
- Look for ideas inside and outside of the beauty and fashion business.
- Learn how to translate a shape or idea into a beautiful style.
- Work with the best team you can find. Great models, Make up artist, Fashion stylist and Photographer if one is weak it will pull down your collection.
- Practice your ideas on a mannequin and photo journal study your images and ask how could you make it better?
- Do not fall in love with your ideas, be constructive and seek expert feedback.
- Go for quality not quantity.
AMAZING COLOR BY SUE PEMBERTON – HAIR CUTS AND STYLING VIVIENNE
MAKE UP DAVID MADERICK –FASHION STYLING DAVID WIDJAJA -PHOTOGRAPHY JULIA POGODINA
This collection that was featured in Vixen a Top European Fashion Magazine, I did submit for editorial but that year the judges voted for more commercial editorial to win. The inspiration and journey is what I would like to share here with the hopes that it inspires you.
PS if you want to join me in 2015 on a four day photo shoot work shop. I encourage you to explore this link:-
I hope we can work together. Maybe I can help you Fast track your editorial journey. (CHECK OUT THE VIDEO AT THE END OF BLOG)
STORY BEHIND THE STORY
“KOOL KIDS” COLLECTION by Vivienne Mackinder and Sue Pemberton
THE INSPIRATION JAPANESE STREET TRENDS, MY HUSBANDS CHICKENS AND ROOSTERS!
THANK YOU TO MY AMAZING TEAM WITH OUT THEM THIS COLLECTION WOULD HAVE REMAINED A DREAM.. BIG THANK YOU TO MATT NAPPO, MY WEB DESIGNER AND EDITOR OF THIS MOVIE GREAT JOB.
BEST WISHES VIVIENNE MACKINDER FOUNDER OF HAIRDESIGNERTV.COM