5 Secrets to being a great assistant – and great opportunities
Hi there my friends,
Never underestimate the power of assisting. Yes, often you will not be paid, but if you choose who to assist wisely and the job is a great opportunity to learn, it will pay back in dividends. In this video I share important points about being a great assistant, much of which is common sense…BUT you would be amazed how lacking this can be! Yes I speak from experience.
During my career I have assisted Giants in the business at fashion shows, photo-shoots, award shows, hair shows and icons in the salon. Because I have been trained to be a great ‘focus assistant’, I was always asked back, I traveled the world and MOST IMPORTANTLY I ADDED VALUE TO THE LEAD STYLIST. Assisting opens doors to amazing opportunities!
TOP 5 REASONS TO ASSIST.
1. YOU LEARN THROUGH PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE.
2. YOU SEE THROUGH THE EYES OF AN EXPERT.
3. A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO NETWORK – “PEOPLE LEAD TO PEOPLE”.
4. YOU CAN TAKE YOUR LEARN AND APPLY TO YOUR WORLD AND PAY FORWARD.
5. YOU ADD VALUE TO THE DAY AND BECOME AN ASSET TO BE ASKED BACK AGAIN.
5 REASONS WHY ASSISTANTS FAIL
1. LACK OF FOCUS
2. THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND ASSISTING PROTOCOL, OFTEN OVER STEPPING BOUNDARIES.
3. THEY DO NOT ANTICIPATE A NEED, THEREFORE REQUIRE MICRO-MANAGEMENT.
4. INCONSISTENT BLOWING HOT AND COLD, OR BORED AND WONDERING WHEN THE DAY IS OVER? AND – YES ON THE PHONE OR ON SOCIAL MEDIA OR DISTRACTED TAKING SELFI’S, MORE CONCERNED ABOUT THEM SELF THAN THE JOB!
5. NEEDED TOO MUCH ATTENTION AND NEEDY – WHICH TAKES FOCUS OFF THE CLIENT AND JOB.
I hope this is helpful. Who can you reach out to assist? If you are interested in being an intern at a HairDesignerTV event please reach out to us via Facebook or email to Paula Phipps-Mackinder <firstname.lastname@example.org>
All the best Vivienne Mackinder Founder of Hairdesignertv.com and hairdressertv.com